Castor oil has been used therapeutically in cultures around the world since ancient times. Edgar Cayce, “the father of holistic medicine,” popularized the use of castor oil packs in the early 20th century and later research has confirmed his belief in their therapeutic value.
The seeds of this plant (Ricinus communis), sometimes called Palma Christi, produce a pale yellow oil that is rich in fatty acids. Ricinoleic acid, which comprises 90% of the fatty acids in castor oil, is thought to be responsible for most of the therapeutic benefits. The oil has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activity and is believed to strengthen the immune system and relieve lymphatic congestion.
Castor oil aids the transdermal absorption of other substances and can be used topically with great effectiveness, especially in the form of a castor oil pack. Castor oil packs increase production of lymphocytes and enhance the thymus gland and other aspects of the immune system. They can help with constipation and other digestive problems; menstrual disorders; and skin ailments like sunburn, dermatitis, keratosis, acne, sebaceous cysts, warts and ringworm. The packs may also promote wound healing and relieve itching. They can also help to relieve symptoms of arthritis.
Heritage Store castor oil is cold-pressed and independently tested to be free of most common pesticide residues.
- CAUTION: Do not use while pregnant unless under the supervision of a qualified health care practitioner.
- Do not use If you suffer from cramps, irritable bowel, ulcers, diverticulitis, hemorrhoids, colitis, prolapses, or have recently undergone surgery.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Avoid contact with eyes. If irritation, redness or discomfort occurs, discontinue use and consult a licensed health care practitioner.
- Store tightly sealed in a cool, dry place.