Hemp, and CBD in particular, are getting a lot of buzz lately, and rightly so. People are finding it useful for myriad health concerns including insomnia, anxiety, PTSD, neuropathy, psoriasis, pain and inflammation. Although hemp contains virtually no psychoactive THC (0.3% or less), some people are still reluctant to try it. Now there are several non-cannabis products that interact with our innate cannabinoid receptors. But first, a brief primer on the endocannabinoid system.
The Endocannabinoid System
Although it’s been around for millions of years in all animals except insects, we did not know about the endocannabinoid system (ECS) until late in the last century. The ECS is a full-body, functional (rather than structural) receptor site system similar to the nervous system. As far as we know, is made up of three parts:
- The endocannabinoids anandamide and 2-AG (endocannabinoid literally means cannabinoid made within the body);
- CB1 and CB2 cannabinoid receptor sites on cell membranes;
- Enzymes that synthesize or break down cannabinoids as needed.
The function of the ECS is to maintain homeostasis – equilibrium of physiological functions such as body temperature and fluid balance despite diverse and fluctuating circumstances and environments. It regulates virtually all physiological functions including our stress response and memory, appetite and mood, libido and fertility, energy and sleep, immunity and pain perception. In addition to endocannabinoids, our ECS responds to phytocannabinoids (from plants) making it easier for us to activate the ECS and keep the body/mind balanced.
One of the most studied phytocannabinoids is cannabidiol (CBD) which comes from Cannabis plants. In the U.S. there are many complications and concerns surrounding this ancient healer, so for many people the option of non-cannabis cannabinoids is attractive. Although Cannabis is the richest source of phytocannabinoids, other plants make them, too: hops (Humulus lupulus), Echinacea purpurea, E. angustifolia, and even chocolate (Theobroma cacao). So, when it comes to activating the ECS, there are many options available.
Emerald Health Bioceuticals
Emerald Health Bioceuticals has a line of products that offer cannabis-free support for the ECS in four ways:
1) Provides your ECS with naturally occurring phytocannabinoids;
2) Enhances production of even more cannabinoid receptor sites;
3) Nourishes your ECS by supplying what it needs to synthesize endocannabinoids;
4) Helps us retain and prolong the use of our endocannabinoids.
At the heart of all Emerald formulas is their PhytoCann™ Complex, a science-backed, proprietary formula of six cannabis-free botanicals that will activate CB1 and CB2 receptors and supports homeostasis via the ECS by enhancing production and retention of endocannabinoids and their receptor sites.
The PhytoCann™ Six
- Clove Oil: Among clove oil’s many pain-relieving constituents, the terpene beta-caryophyllene is one of the most studied. It is believed that its analgesic action is due to its ability to bind to CB2 receptors. PhytoCann™ contains concentrated b-caryophyllene.
- Echinacea purpurea: Alkylamides in Echinacea bind to CB2 receptors thereby helping CB2 to modulate the immune system. In addition, alkylamides prolong the effects of anandamide, one of our endocannabinoids. Clinical studies indicate stress- and anxiety-relieving properties as well.
- Zanthoxylum (Sichuan pepper): This pepper contains alkylamides with an affinity for both CB1 and CB2 receptors. They also have an effect on the transient receptor potential (TRP) channels involved in sensory perception, the electrical control of cells and cell communication.
- Peony: The paeoniflorin in peony benefits endocannabinoid influence on cellular function, including electrical control of cells and feelings of pain.
- Ginger: This familiar herb helps the ECS mediate pain, inflammation and gastrointestinal effects plus it influences those TPR channels mentioned above.
- Magnolia: The magnolol in magnolia binds to both CB1 and CB2 receptors and reduces anxiety by promoting a relaxed mental state.
— from Michael Murray, N.D., The Healing Power of the Endocannabinoid System
Whether you seek something to help you sleep, improve your mood, quench inflammation or enhance memory, Emerald has something for you. Let’s take a look.
ENDO SLEEP: SLEEP RE-DEFINED
Enjoy restful sleep by naturally balancing neurotransmitters that regulate healthy sleep-wake cycles and promote consistent sleep. Endo Sleep helps you fall asleep fast and sleep through the night so you wake feeling rejuvenated. In addition to PhytoCann, Endo Sleep contains:
* Passionflower which has calming, sleep inducing and antispasmodic effects.
* PharmaGaba® (gamma-aminobutyric acid, a natural neurotransmitter) relieves anxiety and pain, improves mood and sleep, promotes relaxation and reduces cortisol. (PharmaGABA® is a natural form of GABA produced by fermentation using Lactobacillus hilgardii. It is proven safe and more effective than synthetic GABA, which may be manufactured using industrial solvents.)
* Melatonin, the sleep hormone (2.5 mg per serving).
ENDO BLISS: A NATURAL MOOD SOLUTION
Help maintain a positive outlook and resistance to daily stress with beneficial effects on neurotransmitters that naturally support a positive mood. In this formula, PhytoCann is accompanied by:
* Saffron to alleviate insomnia, mild to moderate depression, pain and even PMS. In addition, unlike SSRIs such as Prozac, saffron promotes satiety and weight loss.
ENDO CALM: A NATURAL CALMING SOLUTION
This award winning formula (2018 Taste for Life Stress Remedy Award) naturally supports adrenal function and normal cortisol levels to promote a healthy response to daily stressors, fear and anxiety. It encourages a sense of relaxation with greater mental energy and positively helps balance body and mind. Besides PhytoCann, this formula has:
* PharmaGaba® (see above).
* Ashwagandha KSM-66 is a highly concentrated, full-spectrum root extract that retains the balance of all the natural constituents. Double-blind, placebo controlled studies show that it helps promote a “healthy response to everyday stress, over-work and fatigue; support normal levels of mental clarity, concentration and alertness; support normal levels of vigor and performance; enhance sports performance.”
ENDO INFLAME: A NATURAL PAIN RELIEF SOLUTION
Another award winner (2018 Taste for Life Essentials Award), Endo Inflame naturally promotes a healthful response to inflammation and occasional pain due to overuse or exercise. Along with PhytoCann, this formula has two synergistically potent anti-inflammatory herbs:
* Theracurmin® — a patented colloidal dispersion of turmeric that enhances bioavailability and increases blood levels of curcumin. This curcumin is unique because it is water-dispersible making it dissolve quickly and maintain solubility over time.
* Casperome® Boswellia which uses Phytosome® technology to enhance bioavailability of poorly absorbed boswellic acids. Phytosome® technology combines a natural active ingredient, like boswellia, with a phospholipid for enhanced absorption.
ENDO BRAIN: A NATURAL COGNITION SOLUTION
This product offers natural support for mental acuity and cognition and has beneficial effects on key neurotransmitters. PhytoCann’s support of the ECS is enhanced by:
* Bacopa which enhances mental functioning (memory and learning), has anti-depressant and mood improving activity, reduces stress/lowers cortisol, decreases inflammation and regulates blood pressure. Bacopa is an Ayurvedic herb that has nootropic effects (helps repair damaged neurons and improve brain function).
* Huperzine A is another nootropic (neuroprotective and neuroregenerative). It is derived from Huperzia serrata (a moss). Hup A improves circulation, memory and learning plus it inhibits the breakdown of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine and is more selective and less toxic than AChE inhibitors.
Just 30 Days to Feeling Better
Emerald Health Bioceuticals recommends using their products for a full 30 days (in order to nourish the endocannabinoid system) before deciding if the product is the right one for you.
- What the Heck is MCT Oil?
- Leaky Gut? Restore Your Defenses!
- Collagen for Recovery/Injury Prevention
- Avocados, Almonds & Blueberries, Oh My!
- Non-Cannabis Phytocannabinoids
- The Multiplier Effect: Spending Our Dollars Locally
- Take a Peek at Microminerals
- California's Proposition 65 Warning Labels
- Seasonal Allergy Support
- Women's Heart Disease Risks/Symptoms
The information provided here is for educational purposes only. None of the research or evidence presented here is intended as a substitute for consulting an appropriate healthcare professional. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The products offered here are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you believe that you may have a disease condition, please consult your healthcare practitioner before using this or any other dietary supplement.
Although we do our best to keep this website current, always check the product label for the most up-to-date information since product changes may not be immediately updated on our website. Feel free to contact us if you notice any discrepancies. Thank you.