Evergreen's Price: $46.30
- helps maintain good heart and blood vessel health by supporting normal homocysteine levels
- contains the active methyl forms of folate and vitamin B12 (5-MTHF and methylcobalamin)
- promotes brain and nerve health
- supports bone health
Maintaining a normal plasma homocysteine level has joined elevated cholesterol and triglyceride levels as a leading concern for maintaining good cardiovascular health. Plasma homocysteine levels are also associated with maintenance of bone, female reproductive, cognitive, and neurological health. Numerous studies advocate the lowering of plasma homocysteine levels via nutritional supplementation. A number of biochemical imbalances that can raise homocysteine levels can be addressed by supplementing with the appropriate nutrient cofactors. For example, folic acid (as L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate), vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin), and betaine (trimethylglycine) are involved in recycling homocysteine to the amino acid methionine, while the breakdown of homocysteine into the beneficial amino acids cysteine and taurine can be facilitated by pyridoxal 5'-phosphate (the active form of vitamin B6). Studies have shown these nutrients can help maintain normal plasma homocysteine levels.
In addition to the beneficial homocysteine effects of the ingredients in Methyl-Guard, folic acid has been shown to help maintain the normal function of the arterial walls, allowing them to dilate more readily and enhance circulation. Homocysteine levels can be increased in individuals in which the enzymatic reaction responsible for converting folic acid to the active methyl donor L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate (5-MTHF) does not function properly; therefore, Methyl-Guard contains 400 mcg of active 5-MTHF per capsule.
Maintaining normal homocysteine is important for good cognitive health. A deficiency in homocysteine-metabolizing cofactors is commonly seen in the elderly, which can result in an increase in homocysteine levels with advancing age. Elevated homocysteine levels associated with aging, as well as low levels of folic acid and vitamins B6 and B12, can result in the decreased methylation of numerous substances, including DNA and proteins, decreasing the integrity of vascular structures and neurons. Providing the nutritional cofactors for homocysteine metabolism provides support for a healthy brain.
Methyl-Guard was the first dietary formula on the market to promote homocysteine metabolism and is the only one that contains the active, body-ready forms of the homocysteine-metabolizing nutrient cofactors.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- If pregnant, consult your health-care practitioner before using this product.
- 5-methyltetrahydrofolate (5-MTHF) supplementation is not recommended concurrent with methotrexate cancer therapy, as it can interfere with methotrexate's anti-neoplastic activity; however, this folate source has not been shown to interfere with the anti-inflammatory activity of methotrexate. An individual taking methotrexate for psoriasis or rheumatoid arthritis can safely take a supplement containing folate.
|Serving Size: Three Capsules|
|Per Serving||% DV|
|Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxal 5'-Phosphate)||20.4 mg||1,020%|
|Folate (as L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolate from L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic Acid, Glucosamine Salt)||1.2 mg||300%|
|Vitamin B12 (as Methylcobalamin)||1.2 mg||20,000%|
|Betaine Anhydrous (Trimethylglycine)||1.8 g||*|
|*Daily Value (DV) not established.|
Other Ingredients: Hypromellose (derived from cellulose) capsule, CalciumCitrateLaurate, Silicon Dioxide.