Lively Up Your Libido
With Valentines Day approaching, many of us turn our attention to love. But for some people it can be a challenge to get in the mood. At Evergreen Nutrition we have some sexy supplements that may be just the ticket to a wonderful ride.
This NO Says “Yes”
Let’s start with Nitric Oxide (NO) because it is essential for sexual arousal in both men and women because it enables tumescence — swelling or enlarging due to blood (or other fluid) in the tissues. NO concentrates in the corpus cavernosum of both the penis and clitoris where it relaxes smooth muscle cells thereby dilating blood vessels and increasing blood flow and oxygen. In addition to enhancing sexual desire and performance, NO also helps us maintain our sense of balance and coordination, so bust out the Kama Sutra and get busy.
The Foods of Love
Some foods have a reputation for being aphrodisiacs. Oysters, for example, are high in zinc which is an essential nutrient for men’s health and virility. We have some excellent products with high quality ingredients to nourish the body and enhance love-making potential. Herbal Synergy from Engergize Organics is a combination of 22 superfoods and herbs including several adaptogens to support the adrenal glands and stress response, boost immune function and facilitate a positive mood. Garden of Life’s Energy + Focus from their new organic, plant-based sports line contains a nitrogen-rich blend of organic spinach, beets and kale to enhance nitric oxide production for energy, stamina and increased blood flow.
Botanicals for the Boudoir
Many libido-enhancing plants are adaptogens: non-toxic herbs that enhance our response to stress — physical or emotional — through various non-specific (whole body) actions that help restore balance. The following herbs are adaptogens that have been used for centuries to help enhance libido.
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is an Ayurvedic herb that has been used to enhance sexual function for 3,000 years. It is a great herb to fight the debilitating effects of chronic stress which can be a serious impediment to romance. Ashwagandha promotes vigor and sexual vitality, increases sperm count and can be helpful for impotence. The “King of Herbs” is also anti-inflammatory, anti-anxiety, immune boosting and fights brain fatigue.
Asian Ginseng (Panax ginseng) has a long-standing reputation for boosting immunity, strength and endurance as well as increasing sexual vitality. Ginseng enhances athletic performance, improves erectile function and male fertility. In fact, the benefits of this amazing plant are so numerous that its name, Panax, means “cure all.”
Rhodiola (R. rosea) can help to restore vitality after illness, help sluggish libido, improve erectile function and increase fertility. It is also useful for athletes to enhance energy and endurance. Rhodiola is also rich in antioxidants.
Maca (Lepidium meyenii) is a cruciferous plant that grows high in the Andes Mountains. It increases energy and stamina, libido and fertility. This nutritious root is also good for memory, anemia and respiratory problems and can help balance hormones in pre-menstrual and menopausal women. Maca is a popular addition to blender drinks.
There are many other libido-enhancing plants also worth mentioning: Cordyceps, Ginkgo, Eleuthero, Damiana, Tribulus, Tongkat Ali and Horny Goat Weed, to name just a few. But no discussion of libido would be complete without mentioning Chocolate — the "Food of the Gods." Delicious Theobroma cacao is a tonic to the central nervous system and muscles. Its polyphenols stimulate nitric oxide production as well as mood-enhancing serotonin and endorphins. In his book Hot Plants, Chris Kilham says, “chocolate alone actually promotes the brain chemistry of being in love.” He goes on to say that chocolate also contains anandamide, a cannabinoid produced in the brain that promotes a state of bliss.
- L-Arginine increases sexual desire and performance because is stimulates nitric oxide production in both men and women by contributing nitrogen to the NO molecule. It also helps with anxiety and stress and increases sperm count.
- L-Citrulline facilitates nitric oxide production, enhances athletic performance, increases energy and may be helpful for male impotence.
- L-Histidine improves sexual performance in women by releasing histamine from mast cells, something necessary for female orgasm. It may also help elderly men reach orgasm more quickly.
- L-Phenylalanine stimulates energy production and is a precursor to norepinephrine, a neurotransmitter involved in healthy nervous system function and positive mood.
- L-Theanine promotes amorous feelings by promoting a relaxed yet alert state of mind. It increases GABA and dopamine production which is important because GABA decreases anxiety and is helpful for those experiencing buzz-killing stress, insomnia and/or depression. Optimum dopamine levels are necessary for a good mood and the feeling of euphoria. Dopamine can also increase male sexual desire.
- L-Tyrosine helps improve mood and relieves fatigue. Taking 2-4 grams daily can increase sexual desire due to it being a precursor to dopamine.
Beware of Buzz Killers
Some things can put you out of the mood so it may be worth considering making lifestyle changes if you are a tobacco smoker or heavy drinker. Prescription drugs such as tranquilizers, antidepressants, MAO inhibitors and SSRIs as well as excessive use of steroids can diminish sex drive as can exposure to toxins such as Bisphenol A and lead. Also, if you suffer from anxiety, hypothyroidism, seasonal affective disorder (SAD) and/or excessive stress your libido may also suffer.
We hope we have aroused your curiosity and stimulated a desire to stop by the store to check out what we have to fire-up your libido. Don’t be shy—we are here to help you maintain health and happiness. Happy Valentines Day!
- Changes to Supplement Facts Labels
- Iodine: The Forgotten Mineral
- Fermented Foods & Herbs
- Magnesium Threonate
- You Just Can't Beat Beets!
- Andalou Naturals: Non-GMO Project Verified
- Himalaya Ayurvedic Herbs: Healthy You, Happy Planet
- Take a Breather: Help for Smoke Inhalation
- Do You Believe in Angels?
The information provided here is for educational purposes only. None of the research or evidence presented here is intended as a substitute for consulting an appropriate healthcare professional. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The products offered here are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you believe that you may have a disease condition, please consult your healthcare practitioner before using this or any other dietary supplement.
Although we do our best to keep this website current, always check the product label for the most up-to-date information since product changes may not be immediately updated on our website. Feel free to contact us if you notice any discrepancies. Thank you.